遷址通知

本部落格已遷至下列網址,敬請各位網友繼續支持「世界萬花筒」:http://kaleidoscope.cybertranslator.idv.tw/

2007年11月13日 星期二

Ring found after 89 years 89年前的一枚婚戒被發現

A sailor's engagement ring has been returned to his family - after 89 years on the bottom of the sea.

Stanley Cubiss drowned when his ship sank during the First World War, reports the Daily Mail.

Amateur diver Peter Brady, 51, spotted the engraved engagement ring from his sweetheart Florence half-buried on the seabed.

It was during a dive around the wreck of HMS Opal, off the Orkney Islands, two months ago.

Initially, Mr Brady thought it was a piece of the ship's machinery, but on closer inspection he realised it was a ring bearing the inscription: "To Stanley from Flo, March 1916."

Mr Cubiss, 25, who worked in the ship's engine room, perished with 187 other men when the Opal, along with HMS Narborough, ran aground in a snowstorm on January 12, 1918.

Mr Brady and diving partner, Bob Hamilton, 61, found the ship's casualty list on the internet and managed to track down Stanley's 78-year-old nephew, Malcolm Cubiss.

"I received a call out of the blue telling me that divers had found this ring," said the retired brigadier from York.

"My uncle is often spoken of in the family and I know the tragedy of the Opal well. They came to show me the ring and I was astonished. It's a million-to-one chance."

Mr Brady added: "When I got to the surface I realised it was a ring and it was perfectly preserved. It was an amazing moment." (Daily Mail)-- Click here to see the Chinese version

沒有留言: